Thursday, January 21, 2010

Family



They can't say it enough... Family IS the most important thing in the world. Over Christmas, while I was in China, my big bub was home from California where he is in the air-force. Sadly, I only got to see him for a few hours between my flight arriving and his departing. I find myself constantly on his facebook page hoping for some kind of glimpse into his daily life, as I only get to talk with him on the phone about once every other week. You would think that living less than an hour away from my parents and little bub would feel like some sort of consolation since Matthew is so far away, but being at college stinks! (to be blunt) Everyone I know says, "I never go home, I would never want to move back home, My parents drive me crazy," but I can honestly say that's not me! Spread my wings, be independent, blah-blah-blah... ok, I got it, but I'm allowed to want to be with my family. Is that such a crime? I pray daily that I will get into a law school in Kentucky so that I can move back home. There is just something about waking up with the smell of coffee that your Daddy has brewed, some security in knowing that at night you can curl in bed with your Mom, and the fun of being able to still fight with your little brother. I know these things may drive some people crazy, but once again, not me. Of course I love the convenience of being at home...free housing, free meals, free entertainment, etc... But what's better after a bad day than sitting around the tv watching Wheel of Fortune eating your brother's homemade chips. I'll tell you, life doesn't get much better than that! Going to school all day, but knowing that night you're going to see the new movie out at the theaters with your mom? Nothing else can make you classes go by quicker than that. I've had some pretty stupid ideas... changing majors 4,000 times, the million boyfriends, moving into an apartment, and just random daily stuff. But, even if I'm wrong (and they tell me I'm wrong) my family is always there to support me.
I guess what I'm trying to say here, is don't let everything slip by... don't want to grow up too fast. I was so crazy about going to college and being on my own (all very good life lessons and am glad I did that), but now I want to take a step back and not be such a grown-up. I always feel like I have to conquer the world. I don't want to adopt one kid, I want to adopt them all. I don't want to feed one homeless man, I want to feed them all. etc, etc... That's when I need my Mommy there to tell me that's it's ok not to save the whole world. You have to live your life day by day, helping as many people as you can. At the end of the day, if you didn't solve world hunger, that's ok... God loves you and sees your heart!
That's what life is all about... doing the best you can do and realizing that sometimes you will fall short. That's what family is for: to be there when you're on top of the world and when you feel like falling under it. I'm just truly thankful that I have parents who follows the guidelines given to them by God to raise children, loves others more than themselves, and more than anything loves their children unconditionally and truly believes we can achieve our dream.

This quote that I gave to my Mom last Mother's Day pretty much sums it up...
"My mother is a song in my heart of love, happiness, and being. I may not always remember the words, but I always know the tune."

Thank you Daddy and Mom for being who you are and never wavering. Thank you for being obedient to God and teaching me to do the same. You will never know the impact you have made on my life!

2 comments:

  1. Girl, so glad to see your blog!!! AHHH! I miss you!!!!! We need to get together!
    Love you!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, you look just like your dad! Miss you!

    Living4Jesus
    H

    ReplyDelete