Monday, January 4, 2010

Christmas in China











I will be posting my journal from the time I left Louisville until I landed back home yesterday. It is a long entry, but for those of you who are interested in what my team and I did in China... please feel free to read the entries. Thanks for your prayers!

12/18/09- 9:00am
So, I'm sitting at gate 11A where I should be loading my flight. It's delayed an hour, I wish I would have spent that extra time with my precious family. Army men are coverring this airport, just waiting standby to get flights home. It breaks my heart that we can find money to pay our senators millions of dollars and yet we can't spare money to pay for our military men to fly home. They have to pay a ton of money just to sit in airports and wait to fly to see their families. I would gladly give up my seat for one of them to get home! I am so thankful for what they do and never fully understood their extreme sacrifice until my own brother was one of them. He will be home tonight for Christmas, we are literally passing in the air. Wow, Mom is so excited to see hime. I'm thankful for the opportunity I've been given, but I am grieving because I won't get to see him.
I've been a crying mess all day and I hate it. I am not the crying type but the tears just keep coming. Hugging the family = tears, waving bye after security = tears, tears in the bathroom and tears while I'm sitting here writing. People are looking at me like I'm crazy, but I don't really care! Hopefully, I can board this plane soon because I'm bored and crying.

In China- Whoa!! That's the word I have to describe the whirlwind I've been through the last few days. On Friday, after arriving in LAX, I rode a bus by myself to the hotel. When I checked in, none of my roommates were there so I made a few phone calls. Being brave, I decided to walk downstairs to find other CIC people. In the lobby was my entire team: Luke Small, Luke Ellard, and SaVanna Sims. We talked, then with a huge group from Oklahoma we ate "In and Out," a burger joint close to the hotel. On the way back we stopped to take a picture and I feel out of the A in the LAX sign. I was so tired, I went to bed as soon as we got back. Saturday, continental breakfast then meetings in this tiny conference room. We were slpit into small teams and loaded onto 2 buses, where we went to a Chinese place in LA. 400,000 Chinese populate this part of town. We were sent on a scavenger hunt then taken to a church in the community. A lot of Chinese women were there to help us. We sang in Chinese, "thank you Lord for my life." We also played the human knot game. We learned about CHinese cluture, security, sharing, etc... then went to dinner down the street. We sat with James and 2 other guys plus Anna. Food was AMAZING! Pecan shrimp was my favorite! Anna taught us Chinese table manners. Then we went back to the church, sang, prayed, read verses to encourage each other. We were loaded up and headed to the airport. We saw the Hollywood sign :) At the airport, the line was forever long. SaVanna and I went to get a drink. In the terminal, I made some last phone calls then we boarded around 10pm. I sat in 58B. To my left was a guy from CIC (of course, we had to act like we didn't know each other because 100 white kids that know each other flying to China is a little fishy) and on my right was a US college girl form Hong Kong. The plane ride was 15 hrs, but I slept most of it! We got our luggage in HOng Kong and then looked for someone named Amanda. She found us, but didn't know who we were but told us to follow her anyway. We ran out of the airport and were shoved into taxis. Nobody could tell us where we were going, because the part of China we were going to was super strong on security. We drove downtown to a bus depo where we had missed our bus by 5 minutes. It was 730 am and the buses were booked until Christmas Eve. We went to a bakery to get breakfast. After about an hour, Amanda's boss David came to get us. We got on a bus and drove to another bus station then went through HK customs. We drove another bus through the border then went through China customs. My line took the longest and I got questionned. SCARY! They didn't believe my picture in my passport was me (it was from when I was 16 with short blonde hair). We then got in a taxi after walking a million stairs. Deformed beggers were everywhere... so sad! They split us up and put us in another taxi. At the next bus station, we finally got to use the bathroom. This was my first experience with squatty potties. There is a hole in the ground for you to squat over. YOu have to carry your own toilet paper and soap. We had lunch with David and his wife. Haddie, a girl on our new team told us she was adopted from China. She lives with her white family in TX... her story was so cool! I had a Lo Mein type of dish. Everyone drinks hot water with their meals... nobody drinks anything cold because they think it will make you sick to mix hot food with cold drinks. While we ate, about 15 armed military sat within feet of us and stared at us the entire time. We had to pray with our eyes open. People everywhere would stop to stare at us. After lunch, David left and we waited an hour for our next bus. I sat by Luke on the 7 hr bus ride. The others went to sleep, but we enjoyed the scenery. I learned a lot about him and his life in Louisianna. The buildings in the cities are so tall, in the US we have small sections of huge building then suburbs but here the suburbs have huge buildings too. There's no AC or heat here and no dryers, everywhere are clothes hanging out of buildings drying. There are tiny shops everywhere and vendors. The people are dressed like it's snowing but in the day it's about 70 F. Traffic is insane, there are no lanes, so everyone is constantly honking. China cars drive on the right side of the road but HK is opposite. The drive was very tired but I wanted to stay up as long as possible. The countryside was beautiful. The mountains were taller than any I've ever seen. In HK, the shipping ports were everywhere. There were hundreds of docks and the bay was very pretty. On our drove we saw farms being tilled by hand but on the roadwork were some CAT motors. In the mountains are tons of tombs and lots of temples. There is trash everywhere, like huge piles wherever you look. We got off the bus and into another van. We drove through this town (can't write the name, but it's where our M lived). Our driver took us to a hotel (I use that word lightly). Nobody spoke English, of course, but we took our luggage upstairs and then we went to eat. No heat in any building and it was freezing, because now we were way north of HK. We met our translators at dinner and finally learned that we would be teaching at an elementary school in a town about 2 hours away for the week. In China, about 10 plates of food are put on a lazy susan and everyone eats what they want with their chopsticks. You don't have plates, you have a tiny bowl for rice but you just get one peice of food when you want it. Rice is only for if you're not full after eating the meats and veggies. Our M and his wife have 3 kids and are from FL. He told us Ashley (a translator) had been questioned by the Chinese CIA, Leon and our driver have been to jail, and Trinity got kicked out of college for their work for the Father. The shower that night was freezing. I woke up a lot that night.
12/23/09- around 6am (I think)
So yesterday was an adventure. Our M picked us up and took us to breakfast. A small hole in the wall like all shops and food here. You sit on plastic stools. We had steamed dumplins with peanut sauce and noodles. (traditional) Wow, I needed some coffee but of course we just had hot water. We loaded up and headed for a town nearby. We stopped in a village (about 1 million ppl) and met at a school with some other Americans who were working there for a month. We finaaly left for our town. Funny thing in China, there are toll booths to get in and out of each town. We got to our small town (6 million haha) and went to my teams school first. It was inner-city. We were greeted by tons of children. They took our bags and showed us to our rooms on the 8th floor. (no elevators) Wow, I'm out of shape. These little boys were running the stairs with our luggage and we were out of breathe carrying nothing. We met in the office with the headmaster's wife, Stella and their son, Ivan. The thing here is time doesn't matter, so after about 30 minutes David asked if it would be bteer for us to come back. We loaded up and went to Lotus. I had to run back upstairs to get my purse. Still out of shape. haha Luke offerred to go with me, but we forget that it's innapropriate for a male and female to be alone together. At Lotus, I wanted to buy a camera because mine is messed up and I've been super stressed about it. Oh well, we got some snacks and candy. These 2 girls were talking to us like we were famous and ppl were asking for our signatures. Lunch was really fancy with the Headmaster, Yaya. It was a northern restaraunt and I loved it. For desert we had fried bananas, yum! We only had 1 tiny glass of tea, so the Americans were dying of thirst when we left. We all got a water. We headed to the new school (about 20 minutes away). There kids were waiting for us. This is where Annie and Haddie would be staying. The kids know how to say, "Hello, my name is ______ and Nice to meet you," it's so cute! 2 of the teachers, Katherine and Niki showed us around the school. It's only 6 months old. Classrooms were just like you see in movies, wooden desks, chalkboard, teacher's desk and that's it. We went into a big room and got to play with some kids. They love to have their picture taken. Then, we went to the office with Yaya. We drank water from tiny tea cups. We talked forever and then he said we could go outside and play. School is from 800 to 1130 then 200 to 500. Most kids go home for lunch but about 30/200 stay at school. School is 600 quai a semester, but some kids are on scholarship. All kids must go to school. We played ball, brooms, bikes, etc... with them. Our M had this flying thing and they loved it. They like to practice their English on us. They said, "What do you like?" When we asked them that they said, "fried chicken and french fries." haha None of them even knew what that was probably but that's what was in their textbooks concerning what Americans like to eat. How funny. I took some video of them and it really confused them. They wanted our autographs, also. I felt like a popstar... it was precious! The kids went home and we had dinner at the canteen at school. Chicken foot, hotdog type thing, tofu, greens, and mushroom soup. Once again, no drinks. The headmaster took my team back to our school. I was falling asleep the whole way there. Our toilet consists of pouring water in it from a bucket to flush it. Shower is a nozzle on the wall between the sink and toilet with cold water. We all agreed to ignore the stink factor, because we couldn't really bathe. I wake up a lot at night even though I'm extremely tired. Luke locked himself in the bathroom and Leon had to take the handle off the door. We start teaching today.
I read this today and it was very helpful- For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in Spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is. 1 Collosians 2 :5
After lunch- around 1230pm
At 9:45, Luke S and me taught 7th grade. The teacher, Candid, was fairly good with English so she was able to translate for us. We taught some songs, this little light of mine, father Abraham, etc... We also taught 3rd grade. This was hilarious. I was singin Old McDonald and Luke was writing animals on the board. Our farm had pandas and monkeys haha and since we didn't know what sound pandas make we looked like idiots. I realized today how clumsy Luke S is. He locked himself in the bathroom, broke the shower, broke 3 spoons, broke at least 20 peices of chalk, can't use chopsticks to save his life, and spilt cheex-its everywhere. Tomorrow we'll be doing a Christmas party with Annie and Haddie. We made American deocrations, garland, streamers, snowflakes and decorated the room for the party. Leon enjoyed making decorations with us. I had the best tangerine of my life today. Now we're preparing for our 2nd set of classes. I'm on the rooftop because it's warmer out here. Some children are doing traditonal Chinese dances.
around 5pm-
we taught our 2nd set of classes.
Dear Lord, thank you for your many blessings. Thank you for china and it's gracious people. Please be with all the believers who have helped us and the teachers and students. Thank you for my life. Amen.
Christmas Eve-
I woke up a LOT last night. I think these beds are catching up with me, because my back is aching. Today is our school's Christmas party. I am beyond excited. I'm feeling really homesick today, Mom and Dad still haven't written my emails back. It's Luke E's bday!
1230pm- We just had lunch. Leon left this morning, so we are on our own now. We are all feeling sick today. Kids are in our room so we are playing with balloons and sharing candy.
At the party, the kids performed many things for us. We sang Jingle Bells with them and played many Chinese games. The headmaster's son, Ivan finally played with me today. I talked to Candid for a while. We're hoping to have dinner with her soon! I blew up my hairdryer this morning, flames and all with the converter. The house churches here are illegal. Open churches host less then 1% of the cities. Like 2 churched in a city 0f 6 million ppl. They can't talk about sin, the 2nd coming, and general evangelism. This is illegal and all services are monitorred. We're getting ready to go to open church. I am already so tired, I hope I can make it through.
Church was big and there were colored flags everywhere. It started at 8pm and I was struggling to stay awake. The children did many performances, about 20 in all. The program lasted almost 3 hrs. At church, people talk freely, walk around, make calls, smoke, etc. It's so chaotic. It was so confusing.
11pm- Daddy finally wrote me back. It doesn't feel like Christmad Eve at all
Christmas Day- 930am
Happy Bday Jesus! I am desperately homesick today. I wish I could have breakfast with my family and see my Nan and Char. I know God has me here for a reason, and what what better way to celebrate his son's birth than in solitude from worldy distractions.
Dear God, thank you for sending your son to be born as a man. Thank you for loving me enough that you were willing to sacrifice your only son for my life. I am not worthy nor do I deserve your love. I will spend the rest of my life praising you and thanking you for your mercy. Happy Birthday Jesus! I love you! Amen
The Christmas party at the other school was really fun. The children are so much different between schools. SaVanna just killed a huge roach on our floor. Stella gave us Chinese bauts for presents. They symbolize friendship. I'm reading in Matthew about Jesus's birth for the 3rd time today. Love it more each time! Ivam just came up to tell us Merry Christmas.
12/26- Luke E and I taught together today. We are seriously in love with our 1st grade class. I am putting this one little girl in my suitcase and bringing her home! Everyone loves duck, duck, goose... the headmaster even played with us today. I played soccer and basketball today. Juang Lie Chi took me on a bike ride. I went shopping with Candid today and bought a coat. She is not a believer, but rather a Buddhist. Please keep her in your prayers. Tomorrow we are going to a BBQ and to swim in a hot spring. We are so thankful to have Leon back today. We really missed him!
12/27-
The BBQ was about an hour away. The countryside we drove through was so poor, it was shcoking. The park had a lake and a zoo, but it was raining so we didn't really get to enjoy those. Also, it had a small Great Wall. We had marble BBQ pits. We cooked chicken, baby bird, duck, hotdog, meatballs, clamari, corn, tofu, green beans, noodles, oranges, and peppers. For desert, we had potatoes and eggplant. I t was freezing!
Tonight we went to a shop and had some coffee. The machine looked like something out of Willy Wonka and of course we broke it. Then we shopped. I was in China paradise haha I bought teasets, scarfs, bauts, chess set, and a headband. We had dumplins and noodles for dinner. I broke my vener on my tooth today. Mom always told me not to open things with my teeth, I guess she was right! Tomorrow I am meeting Candid after lunch. Dear God, I pray for your wisdom and grace while I speak with Candid. Help me know how to share with her and for her to accept. Give me the words and the strength to lead her to you. It's my desire that she come to you. Amen.
12/28- We had dumplins from a vendor for breakfast. We teach again today. Candid is a hardcore Buddhist. It breaks my heart. Luke talked to her also.
that night- we made Rice Krispie treats for the teachers. I keep joking with Leon about how CHinese I am haha. LauLei is my Chinese name and I make him call me that. We went downstairs to talk to Stella and play with Ivan. They are so sweet! She showed us her wedding pictures and some paintings she did when she was in school. We learned that her hometown is about 2 hrs away. Usually her mother keeps Ivan there and brings him to visit about once a month. Btw, we learned that Candid is open to talking about Christianity. We have only 2 days left here but are meeting with her again tomorrow. Hopefully we are at least planting some seeds. Please keep Candid in your prayers... our hearts are breaking for her.
"Blessed are those who are meek, for they will inherit the Earth" I can't get that out of my head.
Praise God for what he's doing in China.
Tonight I gave Stella my favorite scarf from home as a goodbye present. She seemed to love it!
12/29- 12pm
More dumplins today. This was our last day teaching at our school. I had to take a step back and pray for patience with these inner city children. They are God's children and he loves them no matter how they act, so I will pray for them always. Luke is meeting with Candid today then we are going to teach at the other school. We are trying to show her how our religion is different, but the language barrier is very hard. Thank you Lord for the opportunity to share with Candid. I know we are mere instruments for you to use and we are humbled that you have given us that task!
Today at lunch, Leon asked the cook if I could have some of the homemade peanuts to take home. Char loves them and I wanted some for him! I am listenning to "Forever Love." If you haven't heard it, please look it up. The chorus is: From the bottom of my heart I'll sing to you, from the depths of who I am I'll love you, with everything inside I'll run to you, cause all that I've become I owe to you, you are my forever love! Wow, what a testiment to my life.
After dinner, we went to the big room and met with the teachers. We shared our stories and sang some worship songs. We said our goodbyes and headed back to our school. Tonight, we played with Stella and Ivan again. I will really miss them! I packed and took a cold drippy "shower." We leave in the morning.
12/30- The kids saw us off this morning. I cried when I hugged Ivan bye. Ashley and Trinity are taking us shopping for souvenirs today. I had to buy another suitcase to get everything home. We got our hair washed at a salon... def different from America, but actually better. They shampoo you forever and a back massage all for $4 US. We went to our M's house for desert and met his whole family. We played games there then went to a hotel to sleep. We filled out our customs forms and tomorrow we have a 7 hr bus back to HK.
1/1/10- Annie has been so sick! After the bus ride, we went to eat Burger King in HK. We were dying for real food. We also got Starbucks! We went to the harbor for the New Year's Eve celebration. They say it's bigger than Times Square's. We had to wait for about 5 hrs, but it was worth it! My New Years resolution is fast food only once a week. We had debrief meeting all day New Year's day and had lunch at California Pizza Kitchen with some M's. That night we went to Victoria's peak for a view of the city. Please be in prayer for all the Chinese M's, but def the one's we have met! We leave tomorrow, I am glad I got to come, but it's time to go home.
After a 15 hr plane ride to LAX, 12 hr layover, 4 hr flight to Houston, cancelled plane and re-route to Indi instead of Louisville, 2 hr car ride, lunch and back to the airport with Matthew... it's been a long 3 days to get home but I've never been more happy to be here. Thank you all for your prayers while I was gone. I didn't tell you I was going into mainland China because I wasn't sure where and I didn't want anyone to worry. Thankfully, I am home safe and sound! I can't wait to see everyone and love you very much!
Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I've always loved China, but now its even nearer to my heart since going back! Don't lose the memories that you created while being there!

    ReplyDelete